Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of improving a website to make it more relevant, and user-friendly to searchers and search engines.
SEO implementation is not a stand-alone and depends on many other factors.
It starts with a website that is content rich, user-friendly and provides some value to whoever is searching for your website. Once the infrastructure layers of SEO are covered, then the focus of the website should be on content that offers value.
An effective way of building credibility for your website is to implement a marketing strategy that builds a social media following organically. The search engines will determine your relevancy and authority based on the fact that your followers were obtained by purely compelling content rather than by paid followers.
Search engines just like your users respond to unique content. If you consistently keep your audience in mind, have researched relevant keywords, provide content that is unique and valuable, and engage with your audience then the search engines will see that this is a credible website that should rank on their search engine.
Basic Checklist for SEO and Building Your Website Credibility
This is a basic checklist for SEO infrastructure and content guidelines to keep in mind.
Does your website structure enhance SEO?
- Are there internal, working links on your webpage?
- Are there relevant keywords used?
- Is your website written in HTML?
- Did you place the most important content at the top of the webpage?
- Is your website responsive to mobile and web?
Did you analyze your on-page webpage?
- Are the head copy titles unique and relevant and no longer than 60 characters?
- Are the head copy descriptions unique, relevant, grammatically correct and 160 characters or fewer?
- Does the body copy contain H1, H2, and other H tags and are they keyword rich?
- Is Alt text used for all images?
- Are your <meta> descriptions compelling enough to convert a searcher to action?
Is your content Search Engine and User-friendly?
- Does your content contain relevant keywords?
- Are you producing content consistently?
- Is your content unique and user-friendly?
- Does your content contain internal and external links?
Are you being social?
- Did you post consistent and useful content?
- Are you building your community of followers organically?
- Do you interact with your followers?
5 things to keep in mind when dealing with SEO
- Website infrastructure
- Link Building
- Social networking
- User Experience
Not one of these SEO elements is more important than the other. Each depends on one another to rank a page successfully with search engines. SEO efforts will not yield an overnight success, especially for a newly published page. However, over time if you continue to establish a presence online and keep all SEO infrastructure updated you will eventually see a return on your efforts.
Have you implemented any of these strategies? We would love to hear what worked.